Worthy Down

No. 35 Squadron was stationed at Worthy Down from 29th August 1936 to 20th April 1938 when it moved to Cottesmore

Worthy Down Location.jpg

Location

Worthy Down was situated 2 1/2 miles north of Winchester (Hampshire).

Construction / Layout

It was constructed in 1917 as a World War One airfield on the site of Winchester Racecourse and was retained by the RAF after the war. Expansion work was carried out between 1924 and 1935.

It is believed that when the squadron arrived in 1936 the layout of the airfield was as follows:

Layout

Cranfield

No. 35 Squadron was stationed at Cranfield from 25th August 1939 to 1st February 1940 when it moved to Upwood

Location

Cranfield was situated 8 miles south west of Bedford.

Construction / Layout

It was constructed during 1936 as part of the RAF Expansion Scheme (Scheme A), with the 4 “C” Type Hangars, the technical site and the domestic site grouped together in the north-west corner of the grass flying field.

Plan of Cranfield 1937 [Source: Peter Howarth, Airfield Research Group]

Construction of the perimeter track, runways and hardstandings started in the latter part of 1939, forcing the squadron to move its flying training to Bassingbourn in December 1939.

The Squadron’s Operations Record Book shows that its HQ and Servicing Flight remained at Cranfield until 1st February 1940

Cottesmore (Inter-War)

No. 35 Squadron was stationed at Cottesmore from 20th April 1938 to 26th August 1939 when it moved to RAF Cranfield

Location

Cottesmore was situated 5 1/2 miles north / northeast of Oakham in Rutland.

Construction / Layout

It was constructed as part of the RAF Expansion Scheme (Scheme F) during 1937 and 1938.

When the squadron arrived on 20th April 1938 it consisted of the usual four “C” Type hangars in a crescent shape on the edge of the grass flying field, which had grass runways.

The technical, administrative and domestic sites were grouped together in the south-east corner, behind the hangars.

Bircham Newton

No. 35 Squadron was stationed at Bircham Newton from 1st March 1929 to 23rd September 1935 when it mobilised to the Sudan

Bircham Newton.jpg

Location

Bircham Newton was situated east of the village of Bircham Newton in Norfolk.

Construction / Layout

It was built in 1918 as a World War One airfield and was retained by the RAF after the war. Expansion work was carried out in 1923 and 1924 with further changes made in 1928.

When the squadron arrived on 1st March 1929 it consisted of a row of aeroplane sheds at the edge of the grass flying field (which had grass take off and landing strips).

The technical, administrative and domestic sites were grouped together (behind the aeroplane sheds) in the south-east corner of the airfield.

Additional domestic sites were constructed to the north of the main cluster of airfield buildings.

1929 Plan (Adapted)
Annotated Aerial 1929 View

Annotated Aerial View (1929)