Halifax DT489 was one of twelve No. 35 Squadron aircraft detailed to attack Aachen on the night of the 5th / 6th October 1942.
Its seven-man crew comprised:
- Harry Burns MacDonald (Pilot)
- Ronald Edward Wilkes (2nd Pilot)
- John Baker (Navigator)
- Edward Whitter (Wireless Operator)
- Jack Reginald Ely (Air Gunner)
- George Carpenter (Air Gunner)
- James Ellis Jones (Flight Engineer)
The squadron’s Operations Record Book shows “Aircraft returned early from 20 miles south of Cambridge after being struck by lightning at 20.00hrs, the trailing aerial breaking off and the Flight Engineer, Sergeant Jones being temporarily blinded by lightning flash. A landing was made with flares still on at Wyton.