Lancaster ND929 was one of sixteen No. 35 Squadron aircraft detailed to attack Stuttgart on 24th / 25th July 1944.
The crew comprised:
- Douglas Lawrence Knobloch (Pilot)
- John Maule (Navigator)
- Francis Herbert Thomas McNally (Air Bomber)
- Ronald George Pain (Wireless Operator)
- James Arthur Bowen (Air Gunner)
- Reginald Noah Collins (Air Gunner)
- James William Street (Flight Engineer)
The squadron’s Operations Record Book shows “On return, H2S failed completely – bomb door could not be closed, despite use of emergency air lock. Cruised at 147 knots. At approximately … found fuel getting short, estimated three hours fuel left. Consumption on starboard side appeared abnormal. After further fuel shortage, two starboard engines feathered over beach-head. Landed at Thorney Island with 20 gallons left”.
AM Form 78
The AM Form 78 shows that the aircraft was classified at Cat. AC ROS and was repaired and returned to the squadron on 5th August 1944
AM Form 1180
Unreadable text – further work required to decipher