No. 35 Squadron was stationed at Narborough from 16th June 1916 to 18th January 1917 when it mobilised to France
Narborough Aerodrome was situated 5 miles west of the village of Swaffham in Norfolk.
It was utilised as a landing ground by the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) before transferring to the Royal Flying Corps in April 1916.
Construction / Layout
The layout in June 1916 when the squadron arrived was very basic. The technical area consisted of a few sheds and Bessoneaux hangars for the storage of aircraft, with the domestic area consisting of a tented village. The construction of more permanent facilities commenced in the latter part of 1916.
The following diagram shows the assumed layout of the aerodrome:
The following plan shows Narborough after its development, although it is not known how much was in place before the squadron mobilised to France