Halifax LV866 was one of twenty one No. 35 Squadron aircraft detailed to attack Schweinfurt on the night of the 24th / 25th February 1944.
Its seven-man crew comprised:
- Garnett Cyril John (Pilot)
- Lumley Charles Lawless-Pyne (Navigator)
- Derrick Ernest Coleman (Air Bomber)
- Stephen Joseph Shippen (Wireless Operator)
- Douglas Ferguson Fyfe (Air Gunner)
- George Edward Lille (Air Gunner)
- Malcolm Scholes (Flight Engineer)
The squadron’s Operations Record Book shows “Halifax LV860 landed without brake pressure and collided with stationery Halifax LV866, both aircraft being damaged.
AM Form 1180
Undercarriage bogged down at end of runway after overshooting. Struck by LV860 which also overshot runway. [Forgot to check brake pressure; overshot by 20 yards and got bogged but no damage prior to collision]
AM Form 78
The movement card shows that the aircraft was classified as Cat FB/AC; it was repaired on site and reallocated to No. 10 Squadron on 1st April 1944