Thetford Aerodrome

No. 35 Squadron was stationed at Thetford from 1st February 1916 to 16th June 1916 when it moved to Narborough

Map

Location

Thetford Aerodrome, which was situated 2 miles south-east of the village of Thetford in Norfolk, was developed and opened for use by the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) in 1915.

Construction / Layout

When No. 35 Squadron arrived in February 1916, it is understood that the aerodrome consisted of:

  • a grass flying field
  • a Technical Area, with:
    • 6 x 1915 Pattern Aeroplane Sheds
    • facilities for aeroplane repair, motor vehicles, aerodrome services and instruction
  • a Domestic Area, with accommodation for officers, other ranks and women

The following diagram (which is an adapted version of the Autumn 1918 Quarterly Survey of Stations Plan) shows the possible layout:

Thetford 1916
Sheds1.jpg

The 1915 Pattern Aeroplane Sheds at Thetford (date unknown)