Vickers Wellesley MKI

The Vickers Wellesley MKI was a single-engine general purpose aircraft used by the squadron for development and for training purposes from July 1937 to July 1938

Vickers Wellesley MKI Profile © Malcolm Barrass

Aircraft on charge of No. 35 Squadron

No. 35 Squadron took delivery of its first Vickers Wellesley on 15th July 1937.

In August 1937, a Wellesley Development Flight was established in “A” Flight to do 500 hours of development trials (using K7736, K7738 and K7739). K7751 was transferred to the development flight following the loss of K7738

The squadron continued to trial and utilise the Wellesley for training purposes until April 1938 when it started to re-equip with the Fairey Battle. By July 1938, it was fully re-equipped and the last Wellesley was struck off charge of the squadron on 14th July 1938

The following shows the serial numbers of the aircraft that are known to have been on charge of the squadron, along with the period they were on charge (where known)

Serial No.On ChargeOff Charge
K773615/07/193701/06/1938
K773815/07/193720/10/1937
K773915/07/193726/05/1938
K774530/07/193728/08/1937
K774710/08/193710/05/1938
K774811/08/193708/12/1937
K774912/08/193713/05/1938
K775017/08/193713/05/1938
K775120/08/193729/01/1938
K775207/09/193711/05/1938
K775430/08/193716/03/1938
K775530/08/193713/05/1938
K776814/09/193708/07/1938
K777021/09/193714/07/1938
K852604/11/193716/06/1938
K852904/11/193705/05/1938
K853008/11/193715/06/1938
L264218/02/193813/05/1938
L268823/02/193819/05/1938

Aircraft losses and incidents

Aircraft losses and incidents were as follows:

1937

1938

Photo Gallery

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Crew / Crew Positions

 The Vickers Wellesley was equipped to provide positions for a pilot and an air gunner, with some incorporating a third position for a navigator / air bomber.

The interior of the Wellesley, looking forward and then to the rear

Equipment

It was armed with:

  • 1 ×  .303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers machine gun (or 1 ×  .303 in (7.7 mm) Browning machine gun) in the starboard wing (*)
  • 1 × .303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers K machine gun in the rear cockpit

It could carry up to 1000lb in under-wing bomb panniers (ie 4 x 250lb bombs or 2 x 500lb bombs) although it later carried double this amount

(*) It is understood that Air Publication (AP) 1524A “The Wellesley I Aeroplane, Pegasus XX Engine”, shows that early Wellesleys (K7713 – K7752) were fitted with the Vickers gun. Wellesley Mod. 24 “Browning gun – installation in place of Vickers gun” was introduced for K7753 and subsequent airframes. Modification sets were issued so that the early aircraft could be upgraded in the field [Source: RAFCommands Forum]