No. 35 Squadron was stationed at RAF Upwood from 16th July 1956 to 11th September 1961 when it was disbanded
RAF Upwood was situated 1 ¾ miles south west of Ramsey, Huntingdonshire (Cambridgeshire)
Construction / Layout
It was a WWI landing ground which was reconstructed as part of the RAF Expansion Scheme (Scheme C) during 1935 / 1936 and it opened in 1937.
The four “C” Type hangars along with the technical and domestic site were grouped together alongside the flying field.
In April 1940 work started on the construction of hardstandings and a perimeter track.
Between May and October 1943 the 3 runways (1 x 2000yds, 1 x 1600yds, 1 x 1400yds) were added and the perimeter track and hardstandings were rebuilt.
In 1955 the hardstandings were reconstructed in readiness for the arrival of the Canberra squadrons.
The layout of the airfield when the squadron arrived in 1956 was as follows:
1956 AERIAL VIEW OR PLAN TO BE OBTAINED