No. 35 Squadron was stationed at RAF Stradishall from 18th September 1946 to 10th February 1949 when it moved to Mildenhall
RAF Stradishall was situated 5 miles north-east of Haverhill (Suffolk)
Construction / Layout
It was constructed as part of the RAF Expansion Scheme (Scheme A) and opened on 3rd February 1938.
5 “C” Type Hangars, along with the technical and domestic sites, were grouped together in the north west corner of the flying field, which had grass runways.
Stradishall 1938 / 1939 [Source: IBCC Archive]
A peritrack, concrete runways (3 x 1000 yards) and hardstandings were added in late 1939 and the airfield reopened in January 1940.
In 1941, the runways were extended (1 x 2000 yards, 2 x 1400 yards) and additional hardstandings were installed. Development also included an additional bomb store and the erection of 3 x “T2” type hangars.
Major repairs were carried out to the runways during the first two weeks of September 1946, prior to the squadron’s arrival.
The layout of the airfield when the squadron arrived was as follows:
RAF Stradishall circa 1945 [Source: Google Earth]