No. 35 Squadron was stationed at RAF Marham from 1st September 1951 to 24th July 1956 when it moved to Upwood
RAF Marham was situated 10 miles south-east of Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
Construction / Layout
It was constructed as part of the RAF Expansion Scheme (Scheme A) and opened on 1st April 1937.
A perimeter track (peritrack) and hardstandings were added during the war, but the airfield continued to operate with grass runways.
In April 1944 work started on the construction of 3 concrete runways (1 x 3000yds, 2 x 2000yds); the airfield re-opened in February 1946.
Aerial View of RAF Marham 1946
In 1950, the peritrack and the hardstandings were reconstructed.
Plan of Marham [Source: Washington Times by Chris Howlett]
It is understood that No 35 Squadron / Washington Conversion Unit aircraft were dispersed in front of the hangars
The following incidents occurred whilst the squadron was based at RAF Marham:
- Further research required to establish if there were any further changes to the layout between 1946 and 1951 (when the squadron arrived) and 1951 to 1956 (when the squadron was based there).