No. 35 Squadron was stationed at RAF Scampton from 16th January 1975 to 1st March 1982 when it was disbanded
RAF Scampton was situated 5 1/2 miles north of Lincoln, Lincolnshire.
Construction / Layout
It was initially constructed as a World War One landing ground (Brattleby) but was dismantled in the first half of the 1920s.
It was compulsory purchased in 1935 and a two year development project was started to build the 4 “C” Type hangars, the technical area and the domestic area in the south east corner of the grass flying area.
A peritrack and hardstandings were added during the early years of the war.
Between August 1943 and August 1944, the peritrack was improved and the following were constructed:
- three concrete runways (1 x 2000yds, 1 x 1500yds, 1 x 1400yds)
- additional hardstandings
- new bomb stores
- T2 type hangar
In June 1955 work started on the reconstruction and extension of the main runway (2000yds to 3000yds)
When the squadron arrived in 1975 the layout of the airfield was as follows:
1975 AERIAL VIEW OR PLAN TO BE OBTAINED
The squadron utilised “Foxtrot” Dispersal
Aerial of Scampton (date unknown) showing location of Foxtrot Dispersal
Foxtrot Dispersal at Scampton [Courtesy of Gerry Frew]