No. 35 Squadron was stationed at RAF Mildenhall from 10th February 1949 to 23rd February 1950 when it was disbanded
RAF Mildenhall was situated 12 miles north-west of Bury St.Edmunds (Suffolk).
Construction / Layout
It was constructed as part of the RAF Expansion Scheme and opened on 16th October 1934.
Three “C” type hangars were added in the late 1930s; hardstandings and a perimeter track were added during the early years of the war.
The airfield was shut from November 1942 to March 1943 to enable construction of the concrete runways (1 x 2000yds, 2 x 1400yds) and the additional bomb store. Two “T2” type hangars were added during 1943.
In August 1946 work started on extending the runways and the airfield was available for use again from July 1948.
The layout when the squadron arrived in February 1949 was as follows:
1949 AERIAL VIEW OR PLAN TO BE OBTAINED