No. 35 Squadron was stationed at RAF Linton-On-Ouse from 5th December 1940 to 17th August 1942
RAF Linton-On-Ouse was situated approx. 9 miles north west of York, Yorkshire.
Construction / Layout
It was constructed in 1936 as part of the RAF Expansion Scheme (Scheme F) and it opened in May 1937.
It initially consisted of 5 “C” Type hangars, in the usual crescent shape along the edge of the grass flying field, with the technical and domestic sites behind them
In August 1939, work started on the construction of two concrete runways (1 x 1100yds, 1 x 1150yds) and a peritrack. PAN dispersals were gradually added around the peritrack.During the summer of 1942, work started on the construction of a third runway (1 x 1400yds) and the extension of the other two (1 x 2040yds, 1 x 1460yds).
It is not clear whether this work was completed prior to the squadron’s departure in August 1942.
With the influx of airmen into RAF Linton-On-Ouse in April 1941, the Air Ministry requisitioned Beningbrough Hall (approx. 3 miles from the airfield) to accommodate all NCO air crew personnel.
It is understood that decoy airfields were constructed at Wigginton (Q site for night decoy), Skipsea (K site for day decoy) and Bossall (Q/K site for night and day decoy)
The following airfield incidents occurred whilst the squadron was based at RAF Linton: