No. 35 Squadron was stationed at Cranfield from 25th August 1939 to 1st February 1940 when it moved to Upwood
Cranfield was situated 8 miles south west of Bedford.
Construction / Layout
It was constructed during 1936 as part of the RAF Expansion Scheme (Scheme A), with the 4 “C” Type Hangars, the technical site and the domestic site grouped together in the north-west corner of the grass flying field.
Plan of Cranfield 1937 [Source: Peter Howarth, Airfield Research Group]
Construction of the perimeter track, runways and hardstandings started in the latter part of 1939, forcing the squadron to move its flying training to Bassingbourn in December 1939.
The Squadron’s Operations Record Book shows that its HQ and Servicing Flight remained at Cranfield until 1st February 1940