No. 35 Squadron was stationed at RAF Coningsby from 1st November 1962 (formation date then amended to 1st December 1962) to 2nd November 1964 when it moved to Cottesmore
RAF Coningsby was situated 7 1/2 miles south, south-west of Horncastle (Lincolnshire).
Construction / Layout
It was constructed as part of the RAF Expansion Scheme (Scheme M) and opened in November 1940.
Hardstandings were added around the grass flying area in the early years of the war.
Between September 1942 and August 1943 the airfield was expanded to include:
- a peritrack
- three runways (1 x 2000yds, 1 x 1550yds, 1 x 1400yds)
- additional / replacement hardstandings
- 1 x “B1” Type Hangar
- 3 x “T2” Type hangar
- Additional accommodation (dispersed sites).
In 1951 work started to reconstruct and extend the main runway (from 2,000yds to 2740yds) and the airfield was available for use again in 1953. (It is assumed that one of the runways was removed during this period or possibly later).
Coningsby (possibly late 1950s)
When No. 35 Squadron arrived in December 1962, the airfield layout was as follows:
1962 Aerial view or plan to be added