Squadron Badge

Original Design

The original design of No. 35 Squadron’s badge incorporated:

  • the Tudor Crown
  • “a horse’s head, winged”, to commemorate the squadron’s involvement with the Cavalry Corp. during WWI (which ended on 9th March 1918)
  • the words “XXXV, Bomber Squadron, Royal Air Force”
  • the motto “Uno Animo Agimus”, which translates to “We act with one accord”.

It was approved by King Edward VIII in October 1936 and formally presented to the squadron by Air Chief Marshall Sir John M Steel at a parade at Worthy Down on 18th December 1936.

Note: The Tudor Crown was used on badges that were authorised prior to the Accession of the present sovereign in February 1952. After the Accession, the St. Edward’s Crown was utilised.

The original words “Bomber Squadron” were subsequently replaced by “Squadron” (date of change unknown)

cut badge.jpg

It is worth noting that the badge on the squadron’s standard incorporates the St. Edward’s Crown, rather than the Tudor Crown, as it was not authorised until 1955 (ie after the Accession of the Queen (1952))


During WWII, the squadron received substantial donations from the people of Madras and as a result the words “Bomber Squadron” above the horse’s head were adapted to read “Madras Presidency Bomber Squadron”. It is understood that this  arrangement remained in place until 1952.