Halifax HR866 was one of eight (No. 35 Squadron aircraft detailed to attack Dusseldorf on the night of the 3rd / 4th November 1943.
Its seven-man crew comprised:
- Ernest Holmes (Pilot)
- Joseph Victor Kent (Navigator)
- Robert William Pape (Air Bomber)
- Thomas Henry Warren (Wireless Operator)
- James Mursell Colledge (Air Gunner)
- John Arthur Van-Marle (Air Gunner)
- Frederick Ronald Harmsworth-Smith (Flight Engineer)
The AM Form 1180 shows “Landing undercarriage collapsed. Investigation: Undercarriage must have been selected up after landing. More text which needs to be deciphered
AM Form 78
The movement card shows that the aircraft was classified as Cat FB/B on 4th November 1943. It was allocated to Handley Page and subsequently classified as Cat E on 6th December 1943.
Aircraft Crash Log (Compiled by Nicholas Roberts)
Undercarriage collapsed on landing