Lancaster ND696 was one of fourteen No. 35 Squadron aircraft detailed to attack Karlsruhe on the night of the 24th / 25th April 1944.
Its seven-man crew comprised:
- Mauritz Bernard Berndsson (Pilot)
- Howard Monckton Pringle (Navigator)
- Norman Thomas Adams (Air Bomber)
- Raymond Perkins (Wireless Operator)
- Kenneth Albert Lawrence Mitchell (Air Gunner)
- Thomas Nainby (Air Gunner)
- Walter Stanley Mountford (Flight Engineer)
RAF Graveley’s operations record book shows “Lancaster ND696 hit by flak; Perspex splintered and small fragment was lodged in the left eye of Sgt Mitchell. He was admitted to RAF General Hospital, Ely later in the day”.
AM Form 78
The AM Form 78 (Movement Card) shows that the aircraft was sent for repair on 25th April 1944; it was repaired on site and returned to the squadron on 6th May 1944
KAL Mitchell returned to operational service in June 1944