Halifax LV860 was one of twenty one No. 35 Squadron aircraft detailed to attack Schweinfurt on the night of the 24th / 25th February 1944.
Its seven-man crew comprised:
- William George Barnes (Pilot)
- Herbert George Hornsby (Navigator)
- Albert Clement Michael Taylor (Air Bomber)
- Raymond Perkins (Wireless Operator)
- Alistair Stuart McLaren (Air Gunner)
- Horace John Walker (Air Gunner)
- Charles Erickson (Flight Engineer)
The squadron’s Operations Record Book shows “Halifax LV860 landed without brake pressure and collided with stationery Halifax LV866, both aircraft being damaged.
AM Form 1180 (Halifax LV860)
Landed with no brake pressure and over ran runway into LV866 which was also off runway end
AM Form 78 (Halifax LV860)
The movement card shows that the aircraft was classified as Cat FB/AC; it was repaired on site and returned to the squadron on 16th March 1944