Halifax W1102 was one of twelve No. 35 Squadron aircraft detailed to attack Kiel on the night of the 13th / 14th October 1942.
Its seven-man crew comprised:
- Oscar William Rees (Pilot)
- Herbert Brian Felix Lymna (Navigator)
- PA Taylor (Air Bomber)
- Henry Randolph McMahon Stroud (Wireless Operator)
- William Gordon Leslie Brown (Air Gunner)
- William Joseph Freeman (Air Gunner)
- John Maurice Mitchell (Flight Engineer)
The squadron’s Operations Record Book shows “The aircraft was hit by flak when approaching the target at 17000ft and the starboard outer engine was rendered unserviceable and the fuel tanks holed. Despite considerable handicaps and difficulty the aircraft made a good landing whilst almost out of fuel at Sutton Bridge”
AM Form 78
The AM Form 78 (Movement Card) shows that the aircraft was classified as Cat. FB AC. It was repaired and returned to the squadron on 22nd November 1942.